IT needs PPM
When you talk about IT projects and project management systems, it is a short conversation before you are into a religious battle between waterfall supporters and agile supporters. Even among the agile supporters there are different perspectives on how agile should be done.
But IT project & portfolio management is about so much more than waterfall vs. agile. You still have to contend with selecting the right programs and projects, and you still need to understand capacity planning and deal with resource management. You also need visibility into progress, costs, risks, issues, change requests, and more.
You also need to align people, processes, and technology so that your Project & Portfolio Management system is easy to use and meets your needs.
- Different people in various roles all need different things from the PPM, and need training to use it properly.
- Different project types, with different sizes and complexities need their own governance and processes.
- Different project methodologies may mean different project planning and execution systems are used.
Beyond the schedule and resource assignments, other critical project and portfolio management challenges for IT projects include:
- Program & Project Selection – Picking the right projects to drive ROI
- Cost Management/Controls – Budget, Baseline, Actuals, Variance, Change Requests, Earned Value, and Recovery Plans
- Document Management / Enterprise Content Management – Different types (requirements, design, testing, user manuals, etc.)
- Automated Processes – HS&E Reports, RFIs, Change Requests, Document Reviews & Approvals, and more
- Reports & Dashboards – Programs, Status/Progress, Costs, Risks, Issues, Change Requests, Resources, Deadlines, and processes
- Integration – Integration among scheduling systems like Microsoft Project Online, Microsoft Azure DevOps, and Jira, and & integration to core business systems like Finance/ERP.
Have a look at some other needs by project type
How can Project & Portfolio Management help you?
- IT Projects – select the right programs & projects, and get full visibility to waterfall and agile projects, as well as resources.
- Engineering and Construction – collaborate among owner, architect, engineer, procurement, & construction teams to be successful.
- New Product Development – select the right products and deliver them right.
- Marketing Campaigns – an integrated marketing program is key to successful campaigns.
- Customer Service Initiatives – customer service teams need to constantly tune processes, training, systems, and metrics.
- Retail Projects – to thrive in the rapidly evolving retail industry, you must choose the right projects and do them right.
- Learn about Project Roles and needs.